Solar Power, it is the hottest trend around (no pun intended 😉 ).
Everyone wants it but with the recent scaling down of government assistance and rebates, not everyone can afford it.
Having solar panels on your roof has a strong ‘feel good’ factor for many people as it reduces their reliance on polluting power plants and genuinely helps the environment.
However, using Solar Power has long stopped being a ‘fringe’ trend popular only amongst the so called ‘environmentalist’ community.
With the ongoing massive hikes in the power of electricity and with all forecasts indicating this trend to continue for a long time (maybe even for the rest of our lives), using Solar Power has become a very appealing ‘mainstream’ proposition from the simple dollars and sense perspective: you can save money, sometimes LOTS of it!
We in the “lucky country” are also very lucky to have an abundance of sunshine in most parts of our Island continent, available almost throughout the entire year. This makes Solar Power a very viable and feasible option for most Australians (unless you rent or live in an apartment building, but you know what we mean 🙂 ).
Unfortunately, the very generous government incentives that have been available only a few years ago, have been mostly scaled back as both the federal and state governments have been caught off-guard by the overwhelming public response to them that has caused the allocated budgets to quickly run out.
However, government help is still available, albeit to a lesser extent.
This help comes in the form of either:
Rebates, where the government chips in to fund a portion of the upfront cost of your Solar Power generation system; or
Feed-in Tariff which is administered by the state government and allows you to ‘sell’ excess electricity your Solar Power system generates (and which you do not use at the time) back into the electricity grid.
This means you get credit on your electricity bill for power your system ‘exports’ back into the grid. This credit helps you to further lower your already reduced power bill (since you are now generating some or all of your power instead of buying it from someone else) and basically helps you to recoup over time the investment you have made in the initial purchase of the solar power system.
Conveniently, all these rebates and Feed-in Tariffs are outlined in a single website operated by the Federal Government so we suggest you go there and take a look at what’s on offer where you live.
Once you’ve decided you want to go down the Solar Power route, you will need to find a supplier which will supply and install the Solar Power system at your premises. This can be a daunting and time consuming task as there are literally hundreds of those around, all fighting for your attention.
However, fear not. The Spending Hackers are on the case!
We feel that the best way to address this plethora of suppliers and weed out the good from the bad is to use reliable and reputable services which obtain quotes on your behalf from reputable retailers and installers of Solar Power generation systems.
There are a fair bit of those around as well but we recommend you stick to Solarmarket and 3SolarQuotes. We have not used them personally ourselves but our research indicates they are both reliable and trustworthy (as in they have lots of suppliers on their books, not just a handful who pay them commissions) and have been around for awhile.
Some of you at this point might say: “Ok, I have checked the rebates and assistance available to me and the prices I can get through the two comparison services you mentioned but the upfront cost of getting Solar Power is still too much. I can’t afford to be that much out of pocket but am still keen to get Solar Power. Is there another option?”
And we say: YES, there is! 🙂
How about getting a Solar Power system supplied and installed for ZERO cost upfront with maintenance included and all you do is pay for power the system generates, but this price is guaranteed to be lower than your current rate.
Is that of interest to you? If so, read on.
This deal is outlined here so you can read all about it yourself but in basic terms, it works like this:
- You sign-up with One Big Switch. Signing up is free and with no obligation.
- You call Sungevity Australia on 1300 766 358 and ask for the One big Switch special offer
- Sungevity Australia will assess your location and roof orientation and decide whether you are approved for the plan or not.
- If approved, they will install an appropriate Solar Power system on your roof for zero upfront cost as you will be effectively leasing the system from them for a period of 15 years.
- For the next 15 years, you will be getting a bill from them for the power your system is generating. The rate per KwH will be locked in upfront for this entire period and is guaranteed to be lower than what you are currently paying to your power company. Furthermore, as it is locked in for 15 years, it will NOT rise as power prices go up. You will have certainty over your expenses which we think is a great thing.
- For the entire duration of the lease, maintenance of the system is taken care of for you for no extra charge.
- After 15 years, you can decide to either keep the system by paying its prevailing market rate at the time, or have it removed from your property for no charge.
That is basically the ‘gist’ of it but you can read the full details on the offer page itself. We especially suggest you check the FAQ section.
As usual, if you have any questions or comments, hit us up in the comment box below and we will do our best to answer.
Before you go:
The Spending Hackers Recommend:
- If you are after a no-contract mobile plan with unlimited calls & text in Australia and lots of data – this is your best option.
- Your two BEST options for ADSL broadband with lots of data and no contract until the NBN arrives.
- Smile – Save up to 40% on your dental bill WITHOUT taking private health insurance (or ‘double dip’ if you already have it)!
- Vision Direct – The biggest range of designer eyewear on the planet for the absolute lowest price.
- Thinking of going solar? Get 3 obligation-free quotes from properly qualified installers (guaranteed!) in your local area from either 3 Quotes or Solar Market.