Feel like going somewhere?
Have a friend, partner or family member who feels the same?
If so, read on!
Travel is on top of the agenda for many people. Also, when people travel they usually don’t go alone.
Airlines recognise that and therefore often run two for one flights promotions which are aimed at people booking flights together.
Currently, both Tiger and Jetstar are running two for one flights promotion across their domestic network as well as selected international destinations but you need to HURRY as both promotions end May 21st at 23:59.
Here are the nitty gritty details:
Tiger flights are for periods between 11/06/2014 and 26/06/2014 and are available across Tiger’s entire domestic network.
As usual with airline promotions, there are plenty of T&Cs attached and hoops you need to jump through:
- Only some two for one flights are available on Mondays,Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- Both you and your travelling companion need to be travelling together in the same booking. If one of you can’t make the flight, the other person can still go alone.
- You must buy the fare online and must use a MasterCard debit card (so no credit cards) issued by an Australian financial institution.
- Prices don’t include a checked luggage allowance. This will cost extra.
Now we will be the first people to admit that Tiger can at times be ‘dodgy’ and has a reputation of being ‘cheap & nasty’ operators which can at times ‘nickle and dime’ their passengers and strictly enforce every single point in their terms and conditions (such as check-in cutoff times). They have even been suspended from flying for awhile by the civil aviation regulator due to safety concerns.
Therefore, I personally would avoid flying with them unless there is absolutely no other option.
Instead, I like using them as a tool to get better pricing by using Jetstar’s Price Beat Guarantee.
The terms of Jetstar’s guarantee stipulate that they will beat any competitor’s ‘comparable fare’ (as defined by their T&Cs) by 10%. Bookings under the guarantee can’t be made online and you will have to call the Jetstar customer service line in order to book.
What most people don’t know though is that there is another small sweetener you get by using the guarantee. If you book under the guarantee, Jetstar will also waive all credit card fees which means you can pay with whatever credit card you want (including Amex) and pay nothing extra for the privilege. Nice! 🙂
It also happens to be that Jetstar is also currently running a two for one flights promotion. Their T&Cs are as follows:
- One passenger will be FREE, the other passenger will pay the full fare for the flight.
- Bookings are to be made in multiples of two with the minimum amount of passengers being 2 and the maximum being 8.
- Travel periods vary. For some routes they are 15/10/2014 to 10/12/2014 while for others they are 03/02/2015 to 28/03/2015.
Our suggestion would be that you check the promotional prices offered by Jetstar during the time of the promotion and then check the prices for the corresponding flights with Tiger. Please note that the travel periods for both promotions do not overlap so you will need to check the price of a single flight with tiger, multiply by 2 and then compare it against the promotional two for one flights offered by Jetstar.
If Tiger happens to be cheaper, get Jetstar to match it and throw in an extra 10% discount as per their guarantee.
Now that you are sorted with cheap flights, you might also need a place to lay your hat while you are away so here are some of our favourites when looking for accommodation in Australia:
- Hotels.com – we like the fact they have a ‘Best price guarantee’ which means that if you booked through them and then found the same room type in the same hotel for the same dates at a lower price, they will refund the difference.
- Booking.com – Huge range and also offer a ‘Best price guarantee‘ .
- Expedia – They also offer a price beat guarantee but you only have 24 hours from the moment of booking to exercise it.
- Zuji – the Australian arm of Travelocity. The biggest online travel agent on the planet.
If instead of going to individual sites, you prefer to use a comparison engine which compares multiple sites in one go then your two best options for domestic accommodation are HotelsCombined and Kayak.
If you are feeling a bit adventurous, you can also check TravelFactory which is a group buying site (like Groupon or Living Social) with the difference being they are Australian and focus solely on travel deals. They might have something good available for your chosen destination and travel time.
Before you go:
The Spending Hackers Recommend:
- If you are after a no-contract mobile plan with unlimited calls & text in Australia and lots of data – this is your best option.
- Your BEST options for broadband with lots of data and no contract.
- Smile – Save up to 40% on your dental bill WITHOUT taking private health insurance (or ‘double dip’ if you already have it)!
- Vision Direct – The biggest range of designer eyewear on the planet for the lowest price.
Put us to work for you!
The Spending Hacker Concierge service is where we put our skills and combined decades of experience towards finding the absolute best deal for your individual needs & specific circumstances – full details on this page.
The Spending Hacker Scout service is where we not only find you the absolute best deal for your individual needs & specific circumstances but we also make sure you continue to always be on the best deal. If a better deal becomes available at any point in time, we let you know straight away- full details on this page.